Isérables lies opposite of La Tzoumaz and impresses through its extreme steep location on the mountain.
Although you would not suspect it because of its location, Iron Age (bracelets from the 2nd century BC.) and Roman finds (coins, and so-called snake vessels, maybe from the Sabazio cult from the 1st / 2nd century . AD) show a permanent settlement in Isérable since pre-Christian times.
Mentioned in 1227 as Aserablos, and in 1324 as Yserablo, Isérable had in 1802 a mere 285 inhabitants, but in 1850 already 799 and then in 1950 reaching its peak with 1,213 inhabitants. In 2000 there were only 946 inhabitants living in the village.
Under changing rule Isérables belonged to the lords of Turn in 1225 and the du Châtelard in 1249. Later it became part of the episcopal mensa from 1490-1798. Belonging until 1264 to Leytron and from 1264 to 1801 to Riddes, it became an independent parish in 1801.
The Theodulus chapel was extended to a church and renovated in 1962-1964 as well as in 1999.
1691 and 1881 the village was destroyed by large fires, and as a result the houses partly rebuild in stone. Due to its extensive agricultural terraces (cereals, potatoes) with storage buildings (known as Raccards, barn) surrounding the village, Isérable was until the 19th century the “breadbasket of the region”. A serpentine path mastered the 600 meters altitude difference from the Rhone valley, a 1.5 hours walk in the old days. In 1942 one of the first cable cars of the Valais connected Isérable with the valley and in 1960 a street was being build.
1970 came the first ski lifts (up to 2,400 m) and finally the connection to the 4 Valleys ski area, which caused a small tourist development. Politically today an independent village of the canton Valais, Isérable lies left of the Rhone river above Riddes on an even for the Swiss Alps extreme hillside location.